Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Staff of Life - WF Bread

I could not imagine life without my bread machine. I received one for Christmas many years ago. I don't even remember what kind it was. I baked two loaves, both of which were much better as doorstops than bread. I can bake bread like that all on my own without a bread machine. I exchanged it and got an Oster 2 lb (model 5834) machine. It is a wonderful, consistent, long-lasting work horse! I don't think it is available any more, but perhaps their current machine is still just as good.

This recipe is similar to one I've seen on the back of a
Bob's flour package, one that is on a Celiac web site somewhere, but not quite the same as anything. It is far better than anything I can buy. The primary disadvantage to any homemade bread is you have to plan your time since you must take it out immediately and let it cool out of the baking pan. If you let it set after it's done the condensation will settle and get the bottom all soggy. The directions are for my machine ...wet ingredients first then dry. Alter the order for your machine as necessary.

Wheat-Free Bread
For Bread Machine

Wet Ingredients first:
1 ½ cups water
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Add dry ingredients:
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup brown rice flour
¾ cup instant potato flakes
½ cup tapioca flour
¼ cup potato starch
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon xantham gum
2 ¾ teaspoons bread machine yeast

Select basic cycle, medium color setting, large loaf size. Remove when cycle complete, allow to cool. Slice and store in refrigerator or freezer. Enjoy!

No comments: