Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mardi Gras Jambalaya

I don't know how authentic this is; all I know is I like it and the kids like it, too. I think I got this recipe out of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch many years ago. When I make this, I usually use about 3 skinless, boneless chicken tenders, a roll of turkey sausage and cut everything else in half. I'm giving you the full, original recipe.

Joe's Jambalaya
1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1" pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 pound sausage, sliced 1/4" thick
4 cup chopped onion
2 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
5 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 cup uncooked rice
2 tablespoon browning agent (i.e. Kitchen Bouquet, Brown James, etc)
2 tablespoon seasoned salt (i.e. Season-All)
2 cup chopped green onion

In 8 quart pot, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in hot oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove meats from pan and set aside.

In same pot, cook and stir onion, celery, green pepper and garlic 7-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften and wilt. Stir in chicken stock, reserved meat, browning agent and seasoned salt. Bring to boil.

Add rice. Return to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Remove cover and quickly stir rice to switch from top to bottom completely. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in green onion. Makes 12-15 servings.

No comments: