Friday, January 29, 2010

DO NOT EAT



That being said, this is for deodorant, not food. As weird as some people find it, I even have to read labels for non-food products-- especially shampoos and conditioner; even body lotions. I've never found any deodorant with wheat, but I've read enough labels to know I don't want to be absorbing all these chemicals into my body daily.


The recipe is a basic one you will find over and over. I have my preferences and have listed some, but not all, alternatives. Do this on the weekend or vacation when you can try it out and get over any worries that you're going to stink.


The first step is to finish your current stick of anti-perspirant or deodorant and wash and dry the container thoroughly.


In a medium bowl combine 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup cornstarch. The baking soda is a natural odor absorber. Cornstarch is a natural moisture absorber. To this I add about 10-15 drops of Tea Tree Oil. Tea tree oil is a natural anti-bacterial to help kill the little stuff that makes you stink in the first place. This is my preference. Some people can't stand the smell of the tea tree oil and use lavender. You might like tangerine oil. It's up to you, but I like having the triple-action aspect of the baking soda, cornstarch and tea tree oil working together.


Option 1 - Powder form: Just put this in a short, wide mouth jar you can seal tight. Use a big, fluffy face powder brush to apply the deodorant powder.

Option 2 - Stick form: Work in 2+ tablespoons of shortening--just mix it up with your hand. (I've seen coconut oil frequently in directions, but in my part of the country my coconut oil seems to be too soft, or even liquid, to use for stick deodorant.) If it just won't stick together at all, add a little more shortening until it's a good consistency.

Pack into the empty dispenser. The consistency improves once it has set up for several days. When using, apply a thin layer. This should not be visible. A few days of use and you'll get used to applying and gain confidence that it is doing it's job. It really takes using for a week before you get down to the part of the stick that's really solid and set.

No comments: