Friday, March 26, 2010

Pizza Crust



Pizza has got to be the one thing I miss the most from my care-free, wheat-eating youth. In all my years I have not found anything that is truly an equal substitute. I've looked high and low and this is the best I've found so far. It is based on a recipe from Bob's Red Mill but, of course, I've changed it around a bit.



Ingredients:
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons active, dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cup wheat-free flour blend (or equivalent)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg (eggless option- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoon water. Let stand 2 minutes, then use as egg)

Directions:
Combine sugar, yeast and water in a large bowl and let stand about 5 minutes. Measure flour and salt into a small bowl and combine. Beat oil and egg into wet ingredients, then stir in flour mix. Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and set in a warm spot (near pre-heating over) for about 10 minutes.


Place onto greased pizza stone. Wet hands with water and spread and smooth out dough. Cover with favorite sauce and toppings. (You cannot have too much cheese. When you think you have too much, add a little more.) Bake at 425 for 15 - 20 minutes.

No comments: